Tuesday, October 2, 2012

BBW 2012 - 9/30-10/6



I began this blog for a class on censorship during my MLIS program. One of my favorite things to do as a librarian is advocate for the freedom to read. So it seems appropriate restart some regular posting on this blog during Banned Books Week. All the book titles in my previous posts have been challenged or banned somewhere. But I'm hoping to expand the scope of this blog as time goes on.

Back to being banned. If you are like me, the fact that a book is banned only makes you want to read it. You can find lists of challenged books on ALA's website (note the box entitled "Banned and Challenged Books" on the sidebar). You might be surprised by some of the titles on those lists.

I'm thinking in honor of Banned Books Week, I'll pick up a few books from Phyllis Reynolds Naylor's Alice series. It's been in the top ten challenged lists for a number of years now. What are you reading that's controversial?

No comments:

Post a Comment