Tuesday, October 23, 2012

READING PRESENT AND FUTURE

I can get so immersed in blog reading, I forget that I started posting again. And when I do remember to post something, I'm frequently too overwhelmed by all the cool things I could write about that I don't know what to do. Therefore, I will do a post today on - BY FAR - the coolest and most interesting thing out there: "What I am reading and planning to read." I know you can hardly contain your excitement.

Sometimes I think it's a good idea to leave "things I need to do" out in plain sight so that I don't forget about them. This tendency clashes with the part of me that hates clutter. I suppose having stacks of books lying around is the most tolerable of all clutter, so I cut myself some slack when I leave books out in order to remember them. But I probably only forget about them because I read too many at a time. I'm so easily distracted. Sometimes I think it's a terrible habit.

{Reading}

My Name is Asher Lev by Chiam Potok
{Re-reading this wonderful book for a book club. I acquired this well-loved mass market paperback signed by the author years ago, while teaching in China. Don't know who left it in the teacher's lounge for the taking, but thank you!}

If on a winter's night a traveler by Italo Calvino
{Reading this for another book club. Not sure how to respond to the second person POV when I feel like it is implied that "you" (the reader, me) is a male.}

Crossover Picturebooks by Sandra L. Beckett
{Brilliant. Makes me wish I was doing scholarly research on picture books.}

Saint Morrissey by Mark Simpson
{Actually I paused this one in order to read the heavily referenced A Taste of Honey by Shelagh Delaney (not pictured).}

Liar & Spy by Rebecca Stead
{Reading this aloud with my son and loving it. It's all I can do to keep myself from reading ahead because we only read about a chapter each night.}

Swimming Home by Deborah Levy
{For another book club. Yes, I am in 3 different book clubs. Does that make me unfaithful?}

Hopscotch by Julio Cortázar
{Mysterious and fascinating and beautiful. Just beautiful.}

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
{Re-reading just because I started it again for a past book club meeting.}

Draw it with your eyes closed: The art of the art assignment published by Paper Monument
{John brought this back from a conference and it's quite entertaining. Plenty of stories about crazy stuff art teachers assign their students to do.}

So...I like to think the stack pictured below contains the next books I'll pick up because I'm excited about them right now in this moment. But we'll see. I am easily distracted. Notice that 2/3 of them are library books, which I constantly bring home from working in the children's department. How can I help it?

{To read}

No comments:

Post a Comment